There are different times when you may need a password or PIN code with your idCAT Certificate. Below you will find the details:
At the Registration Entity, when you apply for the idCAT Certificate, they make you enter a “personal code” that only you know .
If now, when downloading the certificate, you do not remember it:
- There is no way to recover it (it's done this way for security: only you know it )
- You have 10 attempts over 90 days
- If you do not remember, you must request a new idCAT Certificate in person at a idCAT Registration Entity and be sure to indicate a personal code that is easy for you to remember.
If now, when downloading the certificate
or when installing the certificate, you do not remember the management code/password:
You will find this code at:
- The delivery slip that was given to you at the Registration Entity idCAT
- The email received with instructions to download and install the certificate.
- You can recover it by following the steps in the FAQ How to recover the management code of the idCAT Certificate .
Note: If you obtained the idCAT certificate before September 13, 2023 , you will find this code named "download code" .
When you install the idCAT Certificate you have the option of adding a PIN (private key) that will be requested every time you want to identify yourself or sign with the certificate.
You must bear in mind that:
- This PIN is optional and by default the certificate is not installed with a PIN.
- The code you enter cannot be recovered, it is important that it is a secure code, but that you can easily remember.
- In case you forget it:
- If you saved the certificate file when you downloaded it, just install it again without a PIN or with a new one that you can easily remember.
- If you do not have the original file, you must request a new idCAT Certificate in person at a idCAT Registration Entity.
If you have exported or backed up your idCAT Certificate, you will have set a password to protect the certificate.
- If you don't remember it , and you still have access to the browser where you have it installed, make a new export using a secure password, but one that you can easily remember.
- If you can't do a new export (e.g. you no longer have the computer it was installed on), you should keep in mind that:
- Attempts are infinite and no blocking
- Password cannot be recovered (it's between you and your computer)
- If you cannot remember it, you must request a new idCAT Certificate in person at a idCAT Registration Entity.
- Important: You may keep the original file you downloaded (it's also a file with a .p12 or .pfx extension). In this case, the code needed to install the certificate is the "management code" you have in the mail you received or on the delivery slip (if you obtained your certificate before September 13, 2023 you will find it with the name "download code").