See this video in other languages
To obtain the idCAT Certificate, according to Law 6/2020, of November 11, and the conditions of use of the service , just:
- Be over 18 years old (you can apply from the day after you turn 18)
- Have one of the identification documents indicated in the "identification document models" section (DNI, TIE, Certificate of Registration of Citizens of the European Union or Passport) in a valid state, that is to say that it is not expired
- Have a personal email address.
- Validate the identity in person at a Registration Entity idCAT .
- To issue the idCAT Certificate, only identification documents are accepted: DNI (from any of the countries that are members of the Schengen Area ), Passport and NIE (it must have a photograph, if not, an additional document must be provided)
- Foreigners can prove their NIE number by providing the following documents:
- TIE: in addition to the NIE it has a photograph and is therefore used to issue the idCAT with this card. Keep in mind that according to the applicable regulations, the validity of the TIE card is extended until the resolution of the request for extension, provided that the renewal has been requested up to 90 days after its expiry and is pending to issue the corresponding resolution (Regulation for the development of the Organic Law on the rights and freedoms of foreigners in Spain).
- European Union citizen registration certificate: it is necessary to provide another official document with a photograph (for example passport or ID card from the country of origin).
- The administrations have configured their applications to allow electronic processing with the certificates made with NIF and NIE; however, it is not usual for them to allow access with certificates issued from a passport or ID card from other countries. The procedures that can be carried out independently of the accrediting document contained in the certificate are those that have nothing to do with public administration, such as, for example, the signing of documents.
Models of identification documents
| The DNI certifies the identity of the holder, as well as the Spanish nationality of the same.
National identity documents from any of the member countries of the Schengen agreement are also accepted. In the case of ID cards from other countries, a photocopy must be provided in addition to the original.
|The foreigner's identity card (TIE) is a physical document that certifies the legal residence of a foreigner in Spain.
Certificate of Registration of Citizens of the European Union.
Document that accredits the registration of citizens of the Union in the Central Register of Foreigners.
This document must always be accompanied by a document with a photograph, ID or Passport.
personal identification document with international validity, which identifies its holder, issued by the authorities of a country.
In the case of proving identity with the passport, a photocopy must be provided in addition to the original.
To obtain the idCAT certificate, you must always go to a idCAT Registration Entity to validate your identity. To do so, they will ask you for the original of your identification document. If you prove your identity with your passport or ID from another country, you will also need to bring a photocopy of it.
However, beforehand, you can request it online to make the process faster. To make the request, go to https://www.idcat.cat/ca/solicitar .
Keep in mind that the data on the certificate must be the same as on your identification document.
To obtain the idCAT certificate, you must always go to a idCAT Registration Entity to request the certificate and validate your identity. To do so, they will ask you for the original of your identification document. If you prove your identity with your passport or ID from another country, you will also need to bring a photocopy of it.
Once at the Registration Entity:
- The operator will scan your document to validate the issuance of your idCAT Certificate.
- You will have to define a personal code : this code is non-transferable, and therefore only you as the holder of the idCAT certificate can know it. For this reason, the operator will provide you with the keyboard so that you can define this code yourself, thus guaranteeing that no one else knows it. It is important to remember it because it will be essential to download the idCAT certificate.
- You will need to provide a personal email address where you will receive notices of certificate expiration (60 and 30 days before it expires) and where you may receive any informational communications related to the use of the certificate, as explained in Appearance document that you will sign when you get the certificate. In any case, the AOC Consortium does not use the e-mail of the digital certificates to send advertising of any kind.
- The operator will provide you with the delivery slip for you to sign and have a copy of. This sheet contains the management code , which together with the personal code will allow you to download the idCAT certificate. You will receive the same information in your personal email.
According to the Electronic Signature Law , to obtain a recognized certificate (such as the idCAT Certificate) the physical presence of the holder at an office issuing the certificate is necessary.
All idCAT Registration Entities are in Catalan territory.
If you are abroad and need to complete a procedure with a Catalan administration, you can register with idCAT Mobile through the video-identification system (selfie) . This is an authentication service based on sending an SMS with a single-use code to the mobile phone and does not require attending in person to register.
If you want more information, you can consult the differences between the idCAT Certificate and the idCAT Mobile